Friday, September 16, 2011

Rainbow Cupcakes in a Jar...Tips

Last year for Madie's birthday we made rainbow cupcakes.  This year, she wanted a rainbow themed birthday, so I figured we should make the rainbow cupcakes, but when I came across this recipe at Mommy Knows I knew that this was the step up to make them just a little bit more special.  I thought I'd include some tips for those trying it out for the first time.  I thought they were super easy--especially with two little helpers to stir in the colors!


Here are some tips:


I used 8 oz (half pint) jars.  I decided to use a 9 x 13 pan to hold twelve jars at a time.  I thought they stayed in the pan well and I didn't have to worry about them spilling over like on a cookie sheet.





I didn't have enough little bowls clean, so I ended up using plastic cups.  I actually liked it much better than with bowls. I was able to hold onto them easier and they poured quite nicely.


I made a double batch of white cake so that I could get a full 24 "cupcake" jars.  I cooked them both at the same time and it worked well.  350┬║ for 35-40 minutes.  The ones on the right weren't as full, but they still came out great!


I didn't need to scoop any of the cake out, I just frosted and added some rainbow sprinkles.  I thought it was great to stick a lid on them to keep them fresh for the party.  




This group I did a reverse rainbow...just to change it up a bit :0)
Voila!  They looked great and they tasted great, too!  I'll definitely try this out again.

No comments: