Friday, October 28, 2011

Halloween Party

Being a working mom, I do have major guilt about not getting to always be there to work in the classroom or go on every field trip.  This year though, I volunteered to help out being room mom in Jack's class.  I share duties with two other awesome moms and so far--it's a lot of fun!

My first official duty...Halloween Party!

I'll be honest.  I love this kind of stuff!  When I was doing my methods, I was in a first grade class during Halloween.  I couldn't wait for the day to come and dress up with the kids.  Then, my cooperating teacher did a harvest party...I was bummed at first, but the harvest theme was also very fun.

Since I teach middle school, I don't get to do all of the cutesy stuff, so I took the opportunity to go crazy.  Recently, I've become addicted to Pinterest, so I followed some Halloween boards and education boards and came up with some fun Halloween centers for the kids to go through during the party.  I think it went pretty smoothly, we stuck to about 5-6 minute at each activity and it kept the kids moving and didn't allow them to get too bored with playing the same game all afternoon.

Thought I'd share the activities:

Activity One:

BINGO!  I found these awesome printables at Artsy Fartsy Mama.  So, so cute!  I used cupcake liners for each kid to keep their candy corn in to use for their markers.  I had these paper trays that I think I found at Hobby Lobby to keep it all together.  Every kid won candy...you can kind of see the purple bucket full of sweets.  In the pumpkin container (which was a cotton candy container) I placed the pieces you use to call out your objects.

Activity Two:

Foam pumpkin craft.  One of the other room moms put this together.  They made cute pumpkin decorations.

Activity Three:
SLIME!!!  This was the table I got to do...I love slimy science projects!!!  This site has great directions to make your own slime.  First, I told them that they couldn't eat anything at the table...didn't want any glue eaters in the bunch!  They were really good about it.  Then, I  gave each kid about a 1/4 inch of glue in a cup.  Then, poured equal amount of water into the cup.  Then, we stirred it like "a witch stirs a cauldron"  While they were stirring the glue and water, I poured in the "special potion"  which was the Borax and water mixture that I had pre-mixed and had in a large water bottle.  Immediately, the kids could feel and see the chemical reaction.  Some LOVED digging right in and playing with the slime, while others were a bit hesitant.  The coolest part...the more you play with it, the firmer the slime becomes and it is more fun to handle.

I didn't allow the kids to take their slime home--even though many wanted to.  We just pitched it after our round was finished.  I was worried about what might happen to it when it got home, or on the way home and I didn't really want to be responsible for that!

Activity Four:
Pumpkin Toss.  My mom whipped up some pumpkin bean bags--basically, felt with eyes, filled with beans.  She awesome like that!  Then, we decorated the buckets with Halloween stickers.  Each child then had a turn tossing the bean bags (one at a time) in the bucket.  I had a score board, but we found that it was easier and faster to just have the kids add up the points in their heads.  Each kid received candy at the end of the game.

Activity Five:

I think I love this idea the most  (probably because I LOVED dyeing rice...it is too cool!)
This is a Halloween sight word iSpy sort of game.  In each bottle (I used empty Gatorade bottles), I placed dyed rice, Halloween goodies (eraser bat, rubber ball eyes) and then Halloween words--typed out and covered with clear tape to keep them in good shape.  I also made a worksheet that had pictures that represented each of the words found in the bottle.

Students then shook and turned the bottles around looking for all of the words to write on their sheet.  I had Halloween pencils for each kid to use to write their words.

I found the idea here for these cool discovery bottles.  They are really a great resource to use for a lot of different learning activities.  I left them with Jack's teacher to use later :0)
Jack hard at work finding and writing his Halloween sight words!


Overall, I had an absolute blast, but I'm exhausted!!!  I'm ready for a nap!

Here are my cute little kiddos in their parade...Madie is an Indian Princess and Jack is a Policeman.
Madie loves to pick something that Grandma can make...Love this one!

Jack has wanted to be a policeman for a couple of years now...basically because he wanted to have handcuffs!  

2 comments:

Michelle said...

You did a GREAT job Amy!

Amy said...

Thanks, Michelle! Coming from you that means a lot!! Can't wait to see what Finn and Tate will be this year for Halloween.